About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Friday 14 August 2015

Weekend Flying ahead 15th/16th August

Hi all

As another weekend looms we all keep a close eye on the weather forecast to see if and where we are likely to be flying.

Saturday looks like it starts off with a north westerly, veering to westerly later with a strong enough breeze to make flying worthwhile. I have some chores I need to do in the morning but I will probably get to Meio for around midday ish for a couple or three hours.

I have been resurrecting my old Speedo to take away with me on holiday to Cornwall in a couple of weeks time, so I need to check that out and ensure it's balanced properly and all the throws are correct etc, and Saturday is looking like being the perfect day to do that.

The weatherman keeps changing his mind about Sunday, but XC Weather is currently showing about 2 - 5 mph with the direction all over the place, and the BBC are saying something else, so who knows? If that is the case, and the sun does decide to make an appearance, then I will charge up some lipo's and head to Meio again for some thermal soaring. Meio can be really good for that as it seems to generate good, strong thermals.

So hopefully I will see some of you on Meio this weekend, and if you have a thermal soarer, bring it along on Sunday. I have a 100m long Hi Start bungee available to use if you have a tow hook. Let me know and I'll bring it along.

Happy flying
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment