ME - 109 Build cont.
I need to add some strength back to the fuselage that I'll lose with the thinner correx, so I decided to add some stringers running down the model.
Bearing in mind that I am a cheap-skate :-) and want to keep the build cost to a minimum instead of buying carbon rod I looked around my sheds and found some strong, light weight plant support sticks which will do nicely.
I rebated the top and bottom of the formers with my Dremel type tool and hot glued the stringers in place ensuring that they were straight.
De-fluteing.Correx sheet needs to be more flexible to allow it to bend around curves, to achieve this we 'de-flute' it.
To do this you use a hooked Stanley knife type blade and slit open the flutes on the inside surface of the correx by drawing the blade down the length of the sheet, ensuring you only cut through one side of the flute or you end up cutting the sheet in half.
Normally the plan will show you what sections you need to de-flute, but as this build plan is not intended for a correx model I have to decide as I go along where the curves are needed.
Before and after shot of a piece of de-fluted sheet, note how more flexible it is.
Fitting the fuselage sheeting
Normally you would have an 'un-wrapped' fuselage piece of sheet that you would wrap around the formers, glueing as you go.
But with this build I am finding that I have to use smaller pieces of sheet to build up the shape as I go along.
A problem with this method is that I will have a lot of joins that will need making good.
And this is as far as I've got at the moment...not looking like a 109 yet.
Stay tuned for the next instalment....