About A470 Soaring

This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.

Monday, 18 January 2016


So I didn't get any flying in over this weekend. Saturday was cold but nice, however there wasn't enough wind to worth making an effort to hit a slope. I'm sure if I had then I'd have just been scratching around for lift. And Sunday began with little wind, misty, which turned to rain, so another non flying day was had.

I got a little bit more done to the Moth build on Saturday but I won't post until there's a bit more to say about it. I may get a little bit done this evening but it's more likely that it will be tomorrow evening now.

Mark made a suggestion a couple of weeks ago about staging a fun, F3F competition style race day, for foamy built models only, as most of us in our flying group have at least one foamy model in the hanger. Although Big Phil felt that his little Spook, (Weasel lookalike) wouldn't be up to the job of racing, so he decided to purchase a Spectre from Flyingwings to race with.

So I guess now we just need to wait for some suitable weather, possibly early spring, as it's a bit chilly at the moment to be standing around for long periods. My Moth and Polecat will be ready and waiting!

Until next time
Happy flying

No comments:

Post a Comment