About A470 Soaring

This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.

Monday, 1 February 2016

ME 109 Build cont

Progress has been slow at the moment due to other commitments, but today I managed to spend a couple of hours in the workshop.

I was having a problem sourcing a canopy and it was looking like I was going to have to mold one myself, but after some more  searching I've managed to find a suitable one on-line, hopefully it will be ok.

This afternoon I started to cover the  section of the fuselage from the cockpit rearwards, this turned out to be more difficult than anticipated mainly because I wanted to use 1 piece of correx for each side instead of multiple pieces. The correx just did not want to follow the shape of the 3 rear formers and join to the cockpit section without creasing.

This is the 3rd attempt...not perfect by any means but I hope I can make good.

Securing the sheet to the formers and stringers was by my usual method with correx builds of a hot glue gun, which I find gives me about 20 seconds to position correctly before the glue starts to cure.

I have only managed to complete one side this afternoon and here are a couple of photos to show the progress.


The tail is just a rough piece taped in position to get an idea of size to see if I need to increase it's dimensions slightly.

I've left the front section open so I can add the battery and receiver  latter on.

No comments:

Post a Comment