About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Monday 16 November 2015

Polecat Rebuild continued ................

Friday evening was spent covering the fuselage with iron on film. I used the Hobby King stuff which I have used before and not had any issues with. I believe some users have said that the colour fades but I haven't been using it long enough yet for this to happen, so we shall see if this is true. But it is an awful lot cheaper than other brands and is supplied in 5 metre rolls.

The weather at home was awful on Saturday so I stayed in during the afternoon and covered the elevons with laminate film, which really stiffened them up, then began to cover the wing with the HK film. I did get one side done and I hope to continue this evening.

I can see a problem looming which I am going to have to find a solution for. I'm planning on using glass fibre cross weave tape to hinge the elevons, and I want to tape those on before I cover the wing. The wing slides through the slot in the fuselage, but it can only do this with the elevons removed.

I guess this means that I will have to apply the film to the top of the wing, but not stick it down fully until I have slotted it through the wing, attach the elevons, then iron down the film on the trailing edge. I think!

Here is a photo of the fuselage, an some wine :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment