About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Friday 13 November 2015

Weekends flying ........ or not!

Well looking at this weekends weather forecast, it doesn't look likely that there will be much flying going on.

Sunday looks like being the better day and it may be a case of just riding out the showers, but to be honest, I don't think I'm going to bother.

I'm going to spend a few hours on Saturday working on the Polecat. I also need to fit my old Flying Wings Hawk with a RX and battery pack as I'm going to resurrect that as my Wildthing is still in pieces and I have to work out whether it's worth repairing or not. I know my girlfriend is buying me something from the NCFM stable of models for Christmas so a Wildthing rebuild may not happen.

And talking of my girlfriend. She has been learning to fly using the Phoenix flight simulator, so you guys better look out next year as she could be there on the slopes flying my Hawk.

On Sunday morning I'm running the Cardiff 10k MoRun, in support of men's health then going into town to do some Christmas shopping, so no flying for me.

Saturday sees the first round of the F3F winter league which may happen at Southerndown. So if anyone fancies a go, you don't need an F3F model, anything will do as long as it is safe and not a lead sled or DS rocket.

That's all for now folks. Happy flying.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment