About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Friday 13 February 2015

I've succumbed to the PSS bug. Damned that Andy Meade!

So after having seen Andy flying some of his PSS models, I have been thinking that it might give me a bit more variety to have something different to fly.

I also want to fly some different slopes in different areas of the country, again for varieties sake. I've previously flown on the Great Orme in north Wales, Parlick Hill in Lancashire, and Rame Head in Cornwall, all of which offer great flying. So the weekend of the 7th March I'm heading to the South Downs to fly with the guys at Slope Soaring Sussex, and I'm having a weeks holiday down in Cornwall towards the end of April to fly some of the spectacular sea cliffs down there, St. Agnes Head in particular.

Anyway, back to the PSS thing. Paul Hampshire at Slope Soaring Sussex was advertising a Flair English Electric Lightning for sale, and I couldn't help myself and had to snap it up. It is in need of some attention, so I have a bit of work to do, but I know it flies.

This is it as it is now.

And this is how I'm hoping it will look once I've done some magic on it, in the colours of 56 Sqn, who I was with in the mid 70's at RAF Wattisham, although they were flying Phantoms by then.


And this is how she flies. I may have to add a ballast tray though.

No comments:

Post a Comment