About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Tuesday 5 May 2015

Faulty Hitec Aurora 9

I was on the slope yesterday and had just assembled my Whisper 2m and was checking out the controls.

The first thing I noticed was that the elevator and rudder on the V tail was not operating smoothly, nor did it have the full amount of movement it should have had.

Secondly, and more worrying, crow would not operate on the throttle stick, and yes, I had the switch in the ON position. But also, on switching on, the flaps immediately went down by about 5mm. I checked the sliders and all was ok there. Obviously I didn't fly it and decided to check it out on my return home.

Once home I checked again and all was the same as before so, I reset all control settings to default and rebound the RX and began the set up procedure again.

The rudder and elevator worked perfectly but I still had the same issue with the flaps and crow so, I brought out my FVK Signal and tried that and had exactly the same issue with the flaps and crow. And just to be doubly sure, my Libelle DLG exhibited similar issues.

So it looks like a have a fault and will have to send my A9 away for repair.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment