About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Thursday 6 August 2015

Slope Soaring Sussex Visit Cancelled

Hi all

The proposed visit from the guys of Slope Soaring Sussex to the Bwlch, planned for this weekend, has been cancelled due to light winds forecast for Friday and Saturday and rain coming in on Sunday.

I'm sure you local guys will be out on Meio or Mickey's enjoying the sunny weather on Saturday and making the most of those booming thermals coming in. I would estimate that with a 9 mph wind forecast, that could probably give you 15 - 18 mph on Mickey's, more than enough for a good days flying there.

I shall be loading the camping gear into the car this evening and making a start to Abersoch from about 9 am tomorrow. I shall be taking the EE Lightning and Impala as my PSS models, and the Whisper, Climax Compact E and possibly the Libelle DLG if I can squeeze it in the car. This will give me options to fly whatever the wind speed. Andy Meade is staying at the same camp site as me and should be arriving around about the same time too, so hopefully we can get an hour or two flying once we're set up.

I believe Phil has purchased Andy's PSS Jet Provost, so I'll be squeezing that into the car to bring it back with me. I shall look forward to seeing Phil flying that. It seems Phil has found his niche in the world of slope soaring with the PSS thing. I think also he should join me this winter in taking part in the PSSA mass build project, which is the Douglas A4 Skyhawk. Come on Phil, you know you want to :o)

Well that's enough of me wittering on. Have a good weekend all and I'll catch up with you on my return from N. Wales.

Happy flying
Steve

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about it Steve ...ps don't tell the Shaz lol 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, you want to keep it at my place? Lol

    ReplyDelete