About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Friday 8 April 2016

This Weekends Flying - 9th/10th April

Well another weekend is upon us! Hoorayyyyyyy, which of course means doing some flying, if the weather plays ball.

I am unable to fly on Saturday as I have other things I need to be doing, i.e. Parkrun, hair cut, Mike is popping over to collect the PSS Lightning he's buying from me, and get everything up together for my trip next Friday up to Llandudno in North Wales for the PSSA meet on the Great Orme.

But Sunday is looking promising as a flying day and so Big Phil and I are heading up to Blain Bran, Cwmbran, (where we were last Saturday) as there is a south easterly forecast, and with wind speeds of 20 mph plus expected up there, hopefully we should get some good flying in.

I have another reason for desperately wanting to get out flying this weekend too, as I've bought a new toy, a GoPro Hero Session camera.

I took delivery of this yesterday and so I was having a play around with it last night, and for such a small camera, it has great functionality, as well as being small. I particularly like the 50 fps at 1080p and 100 fps at 720p, and also the still photo burst and interval shots. This should allow me to produce some great slow motion footage at those frame rates. So look out for some video appearing here early next week.

So wherever you're flying over this weekend, have fun.

Steve
Happy flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment