About A470 Soaring

This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.

Friday 2 June 2017

Weekend Flying Forecast 3rd/4th June

Here we are again with another weekend upon us, and if you're thinking of getting out to the slopes, here is what you can expect.

Saturday - A sunny, bright day with a 12 mph westerly, which means about 20 mph on the slope.

Your slope choices will be Mickey's, Rhossili, Eglwysilan and Meio, although this will be a off the main face. You can fly on the point but due to its shape, the lift isn't great.

Sunday - Sunshine and showers are the order of the day with an 11 mph south westerly, so your slope choices are Mickey's and Meio.

I may be able to get a couple of hours flying in on Saturday afternoon. I will probably try Eglwysilan , and as I have to drive past Meio to get there, I will stop to check that the wind direction is actually westerly, and not south westerly.

My friend Robin should be arriving in the area on Saturday with his Austrian friends, and I did say that I would try to get out to fly on Monday or Wednesday evening, however, the forecast looks like total pants for Monday, with rain and a 20 - 30 mph southerly wind, and Wednesday is much to far away to take a forecast seriously. I will be keeping a very close eye on the forecast though over the coming week and keeping my fingers crossed for favourable flying conditions for Bwlchfest next weekend.

Until next time friends
Happy flying

No comments:

Post a Comment