About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Monday 30 November 2015

Stuff

Hi all.

I know some of the guys at Slope Soaring Sussex managed to get a little flying in on Saturday, however in S Wales it was a totally different kettle of fish, with no flying taking place, (by me anyway). The weather all weekend was atrocious with gales and heavy rain.

Anyway, some of you will remember I trashed my beloved Wildthing whilst trying to teach Michelle to fly it. I did contemplate buying a new one as they aren't that expensive. However, after having seen Waynes new Mk3 flying, I have been put off buying one.

For me the wing just isn't as good as the old Mk2 wing, which seems more stable and able to fly in lighter lift than the Mk3. There is some video I shot somewhere on this blog where we were flying at Fochriw in changeable conditions. One minute we'd have a good breeze with thermals coming through. Then the wind would die as a thermal passed over and we were left flying in dead air. My Wildthing carried on cruising slowly along the slope whilst Waynes plummeted out of the sky like a brick. If anyone from Soar Ahead Sailplanes is reading this, please revert back to the Mk2 wing.

My wing seems to be structurally sound, it's only the fuselage which took a battering, so this evening I'm going to strip the covering off it and see if I can epoxy it back together and strengthen the break areas with some light glass fibre. If that option doesn't appear feasible, I shall buy some depron sheet and use the original fuselage as a template for fabricating a new one.

Watch this space for updates.

This Friday I'm heading to Crawley for the weekend. Michelle has friends there and it's a really good excuse for me to tag along and go flying with Paul Hampshire and the other guys at Slope Soaring Sussex. So I have four models prepped and ready to go, I just need some luck with the weather. Anything between 15 - 25 mph winds with clear skies would be perfect. Hopefully I shall come back with some pictures and video to share.

Until next time, happy flying.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment