About A470 Soaring


This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.


Wednesday 16 December 2015

Wildthing Rebuild - The Finale

This evening I've completed as much as I can do, and that was to just add some extra decoration to the fin and to the centre section of the wing.


That's the first time I've used a spaghetti measurer to draw circles on shrink film. 

And here is the almost complete model. 





I'm just awaiting some threaded control rods to arrive in tomorrow's post. I can then connect the elevons to the servos and fix the wing to the fuselage. 

Hopefully the next time I post with the Wildthing, it will be with a video of it being chucked off a big Welsh hill. 

With this rebuild I've tried doing things I haven't done before, and fortunately they all worked very well. 

Some things worked particularly well, sandwiching shrink film covering between two layers of laminate film for instance. Using glass fibre tape will probably become a thing of the past for me. 

But I've also learned that if gf tape is used, to run a hot iron over it, which sticks it down better and gives it a very smooth finish. 

So I can now take what I've learned from this and the Polecat rebuild and use these techniques in my next project in January. 

Catch you soon & happy flying. 
Steve 





No comments:

Post a Comment