About A470 Soaring

This is the blog for a few guys who spend their time flying radio controlled gliders, or slope soarer's, from the many and varied slopes around SE Wales.

This usually begins at the northern end of Cardiff, driving north up the A470 up to the Heads of the Valley's and the southern fringe of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 road continues its windy way all the way to N Wales.

There are many slopes available for most wind directions, the most famous being the area between Nant-y-Moel and Treorchi known as The Bwlch, which has some of the best slopes and flying in Europe with many F3F competitions being held there each year and visited by many fliers from Europe and around the world. At 1500 feet (450m) above sea level, there is usually more wind than not, and certainly more than at sea level.

If you require any further information, are new to slope soaring or are visiting the area, please contact Steve at steve.houghton59@gmail.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Take a look at Page 2 (look below and to the left here) for Google maps of our most popular Flying Sites.

Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Moth Build Continued ..............

So the next job to be done to the wing is to glue the drag spar to the TE of the wing. Glue is left off the centre 2½" so that the drag spar joiner can be fitted once the glue has set on the drag spar. Then the drag spar joiner is laid on top of the foam and the foam marked then cut out, then the drag spar joiner is glued in place.

In the mean time, whilst glue has been setting during the above tasks, I made a start on the fuselage.

The carbon tube longeron supplied is glued into the slot which runs almost the full length of the bottom section. Enough epoxy is supposed to be mixed so that the glue is pushed up the sides of the longeron and then fill the gap above to the fuselage top, totally encasing the longeron in epoxy. However, I'm trying to keep this build light so I only used enough epoxy to glue the longeron in place. It's certainly secure enough!

I then made provision for adding a switch as the hole for this was going to be easier to make before the fuselage top was glued to the bottom section.

Instead of the recommended epoxy, I glued the two halves together using UHU POR, which is more elastic in nature, epoxy is quite brittle and I'd rather there be a little give there. 

In the picture above, you can see there is a slot in the nose where the longeron ends. This slot is filled with a supplied piece of foam dowel and just glued into place.

Once the glue has dried, the shaping of the fuselage can begin by using a blade to shave off 3mm of foam from each corner and then sanding smooth and to shape.

I couldn't resist putting the wing into the fuselage for a cheeky look.

So the next jobs are to shape the wing tips and add the rear wing spar before looking at fitting the servo's. 

I've read on one of the forums that it was recommended to make a ply box to fit the servo's into as over time the foam around a potted servo compresses and makes the servo loose. This is something I haven't experienced before with an EPP model. Usually what I do is wrap the servo in masking tape and use a large blob of hot glue to secure it in position, so that the glue comes up the sides of the servo, the servo then is secure and doesn't move, but also, by using the hot glue, the servo is easily prized out should the need arise.

This is something I shall have to think about, but my instinct is to use my tried and trusted method.


No comments:

Post a Comment